Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 85)
Saints & Sinners*
Who can say, 'I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin'?
Proverbs 20:9 (NIV)
Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:20 (NASB)
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 3:23 (NIV)
What if Christians wearing the name tag, SAINT, exchanged it for one that said, SAINT & SINNER? Imagine all the surprised reactions from church insiders and skeptics beyond. Because snooty saints pretend perfection and observant outsiders call their bluff.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: You model cultural relevance. Other Christians model elitism. But holier than thou attitudes make Jesus seem unrelatable, unattainable and judgmental. As a Man, He was none of these things, even though He was truly sinless.
So if earth's singular sinless Man did not distance Himself from sinners, but welcomed them and broke bread with them, mustn't His followers do the same?
Confessing your inadequacies, including your previous failures, helps you accomplish three major things:
1) You seem human and approachable. You're able to build relationships, prompting the best relationship: a match with mankind's ultimate Friend.
2) Revealing your bloopers and blunders is like a funny home video. It's irresistibly appealing, which is part of the Lord's action plan.
3) Over time, you're invited to share how you've overcome so much: all the temptations and tragedies you've stepped beyond to come out shining.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: Are Christians sinners, saints or both? https://www.gotquestions.org/sinners-saints.html
* Article: Saint or Sinner: https://bible.org/seriespage/8-saint-or-sinner
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.