Name Tags: You Are... (Part 91)
You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
You are living stones that God is building into His spiritual temple...
For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building...
STONE is a revelatory name tag.* It's used when the King of Glory describes your body as a part of His new church, as a temple for His Holy Spirit... because manmade temples became corrupt:
'Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father... But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him' (John 4:21-23, NKJV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: STONE may not seem like a great name tag, but remember, Jesus is 'The Rock' (1 Corinthians 10:4, NASB), and the qualities ascribed to stones are exceptionally relevant. Pause to consider a few of them, in the light of your own character...
The Requirements of Good Building Stones:**
1) Strength to carry and support others, which is a duty of mature saints.
2) Durability through the hard times: the twisters and hurricanes of life.
3) Hardness to withstand heels, scuffs and kicks, because Jesus said saints would suffer.
4) Non-absorption of harmful waters, like a flood of worldly temptations.
5) An appearance which yields and shines. Rocks for Christ must conform to His Shape.
6) Seasoning to remove quarry sap, which might be some sticky, old habits.
7) Proximity to the building site. How close are you to Jesus right now?
8) Fire resistance for your coming test. God promises a trial by fire.
To Be Continued...
* Two other Verses pertinent to Jesus, stones and worship:
* 'When Jesus said 'this temple,' He meant His Own Body' (John 2:21, NLT).
* 'He showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God and sparkled like a precious stone... I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its Temple' (Revelation 21:10-11, 22, NLT).
** Short article, 12 Basic Qualities of Good Building Stones: http://civilblog.org/2015/06/26/12-basic-quality-requirements-of-good-building-stones/
** Short article, Characteristics of Good Building Stones: http://www.constructionandesign.com/2016/02/characteristics-of-good-building-stones.html
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.