Wednesday, February 15th, 2012
Our Citizenship (Part 3)
Rules Of Engagement
To those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours...
1 Corinthians 1:2 (NKJV)
Thank God we are saints! (Sub-group: actors, models, and talent for Christ). As our walks of faith are in 'enemy territory,' God gives us rules of engagement, including:
1. Reverence and Obedience: 'O fear the Lord, you His saints' (Psalm 34:9). AMTC relevance: while you must live in and adapt to the culture of entertainment, never sell out. Ask God about each and every role you are offered.
2. Peace: 'Peace, as in all the churches of the saints' (1 Corinthians 14:33). AMTC relevance: performers for Christ are performers of peace. Forgive. Harboring even a small amount of unforgiveness personally or professionally will hinder your path to stardom for God.
3. Hospitality: 'Receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints' (Romans 16:2). AMTC relevance: reach out not only to saints, but also to sinners, with a warmth and love that invite a closer look at Christ in you.
4. Government: 'Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?' (1 Corinthians 6:2). AMTC relevance: while our government comes later, use every opportunity to practice righteousness; showcase the ethics and integrity of Christ.
5. Ministry: 'They have devoted themselves for ministry to the saints' (1 Corinthians 16:15). AMTC relevance: stars for God are servants; resist the temptation to arrogance, vanity, or the 'diva syndrome.'
6. Encouragement: 'For the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ' (Ephesians 4:12). AMTC relevance: your talents are a gift to encourage and lift up others--not yourself.
7. Exemplary Behavior: 'But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints' (Ephesians 5:3). AMTC relevance: as role models for Christ, you are held to a higher standard.
8. Watchfulness: 'Be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints' (Ephesians 6:18). AMTC relevance: know your enemy and his tactics. Pray for your fellow performers in the field of entertainment.
9. Faith: 'Here is the... faith of the saints' (Revelation 13:10). AMTC relevance: the success of your performance is built on the foundation of faith. As God's star witnesses, expect the enemy to try to keep you off the witness stand. God allows resistance to help you build faith-muscle. Consider resistance a compliment and blessing.
10. Love: 'Oh, love the Lord, all you His saints' (Psalm 31:23). AMTC relevance: love your fellow men, too. That includes sinners. Catch them by surprise in Hollywood. How? 'Love never fails' (1 Corinthians 13:8). Through love, you will win hearts for Jesus.
11. Thanks: 'Giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light' (Colossians 1:12). AMTC relevance: appreciation keeps you connected to God. It also draws a spotlight to you in a world accustomed to grumbling.
12. Fellowship: 'Gather My saints together to Me' (Psalm 50:5); 'God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints' (Psalm 89:7). AMTC relevance: in the culture of entertainment, you need the strength, encouragement, guidance, and even correction that come from regular meetings with fellow saints. Don't allow yourself to become isolated in a foreign land.
13. Righteousness and Joy: 'Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let Your saints shout for joy' (Psalm 132:9). AMTC relevance: saints are priests. As such, be holy, be passionate, and do everything with joy. True joy is a godly contagion.
14. Patience: 'Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus' (Revelation 14:12). AMTC relevance: don't give up. Your patience in following God will be rewarded. You'll be the last stars standing.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Our Citizenship series.