Parent Traps (Part 30)
Thwarted: By Church Leaders
You shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens.
Exodus 18:21 (NASB)
When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in Whom they had believed.
Acts 14:23 (NASB)
An elder must be blameless... a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.
Titus 1:6 (NIV)
He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)
1 Timothy 3:4-5 (NIV)
Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Name of the Lord.
James 5:14 (NASB)
Around the throne were twenty-four thrones; and upon the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white garments, and golden crowns on their heads.
Revelation 4:4 (NASB)
From Genesis to Revelation, from the first apostles of Jesus to the elders in His growing church, God-fearing leaders are essential. As shepherds and stewards of His flock, they're called to raise baby believers into mature disciples of Christ.
Though Moses, Timothy and Titus*, consider some qualifications for this important church position:
1) An elder must manage his house well, including his role as a father, in regard to his
children's behavior. Because elders are fathers in church--appointed to nurture God's
2) An elder must be exemplary, evidencing the fruit of the Spirit.** In love, joy, peace, patience and kindness; in goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, his work must be done.
3) An elder must not love worldly things, such as wealth, wine or man's approval. He must resist pride and common bribes. He must be a vetted believer, respected among non-believers.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Through God, church leaders can overcome wicked traps causing harm to children. They can become surrogate parents breaking generational curses to uplift a new army of saints.
In the entertainment industry, you're called as a new kind of leader: to witness God's virtues at light speed. Because most people don't know Jesus, and many who do are still babies. Because Satan is boldly trapping, God's saints must be more
To Be Continued...
* Qualifications of elders: Titus 1:5-16: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Titus+1%3A5-16&version=NASB
* Qualifications of elders: 1 Timothy 3: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+timothy+3&version=NASB
** The fruit of the Spirit: Galatians 5:22-23: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5%3A22-23
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Parent Traps series.