Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016
Parent Traps (Part 33)
Overcome: By Honor
Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
Deuteronomy 5:16 (NIV)
A son honors his father, and a servant his master.
Malachi 1:6 (NKJV)
I honor My Father.
John 8:49 (NKJV)
If Jesus fulfilled every Law of the Old Testament,* if He gave us a new life and refocused Commandments, then one particular Rule was reaffirmed mightily: the honoring of God The Father and our own parents. He speaks of this particular requirement many times and offers no opt-outs based on parental performance.** Why?
Because God gifted or allowed every good and hard thing, for reasons we can't understand in our limited view: possibly for our refinement; surely for His glory.*** We must trust His reasons are right and His endings are bright... if we respect His stated Commandments and follow Them.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Consider these unusual steps:
1) Living at home? Obey your parents. If what they ask of you seems unfair, do it anyway to please the Lord. Believe in His justice and rewards.
2) No one obeys? God predicted it.**** We live in days of irreverence. Media glorifies disrespect, so don't copy its worst examples.
3) Out on your own? Honor your parents. Give them a priority status. It's not before your Lord or your spouse, but well ahead of your busyness.
4) They aren't believers? Show them Jesus. His best introductory message will be your best exampling actions. Offer them the fruit His Spirit.*****
5) They act badly? Don't get offended. Don't lash out in retaliation. Instead, exchange kindness for meanness. God will empower this tough exchange.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Why are you here? Alive in this age? Maybe you're called to be like Esther. She honored her cousin, Mordecai, with obedience to his commands. God lifted Esther to prominence, as he's lifting you in media. But remember, to receive blessings and avoid the enemy's sly traps: Honor your parents as God decrees.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it? http://www.gotquestions.org/abolish-fulfill-law.html
** Verses in The Gospels said by Jesus about honoring our parents: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?search=honor+father&version=NKJV&searchtype=all&bookset=4&resultspp=500
*** 'And His disciples asked Him, saying, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?' Jesus answered, 'Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him' ' (John 9:2-3).
**** See 2 Timothy 3:1-7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+timothy+3%3A1-7&version=NKJV
***** 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law' (Galatians 5:22-23).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Parent Traps series.