Monday, March 5th, 2012
Prayer (Part 2)
The Prayers Of God's People
The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God's people, went up before God from the angel's hand.
Revelation 8:4 (NKJV)
If 'The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much' (James 5:16), then Jesus' teachings about prayer unleash the greatest power in the universe. Even from the hearts and lips of His followers.
6) 'Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation' (Matthew 26:41). We keep both eyes on God, but we also watch out for the enemy.
7) 'And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in Heaven may also forgive you' (Mark 11:25). We forgive. We forgive. We forgive.
8) 'He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed' (Luke 5:16). We avoid distractions.
9) 'Pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest' (Luke 10:2). We ask God to send help to our field.
10) 'Yet because of his persistence He will rise and give' (Luke 11:8). We ask again and again. We wait in hopeful anticipation.
11) 'If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him' (Luke 11:13). We enjoy the favor of a generous and loving God.
12) 'Men always ought to pray and not lose heart' (Luke 18:1). We pray without ceasing. We hope without ceasing.
13) 'And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to Heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' ' (Luke 18:13). We humble ourselves in prayer.
14) 'Pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man' (Luke 21:36). We don't take our salvation for granted. We continue to work it out with fear and trembling.
15) 'He knelt down and prayed' (Luke 22:41). We approach God in reverence.
16) 'And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly' (Luke 22:44). We pray harder when we hurt.
17) 'And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them?' (Luke 18:7). We await God's justice with patience. We trust that His timing will be perfect.
18) 'Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you' (John 16:23). We believe Jesus.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Prayer series.