Listed last in these seven things God hates is a person inciting rebellion, the striker of a match called civil war: a blood bath of infighting among kin. Civil wars ravage peace and unity among families, churches and nations.
But our Lord intends a different bath.
And for Christians who've had this immersion, a baptism of surrender to Christ, a cleansing of our sins into new life, an inviting of His Holy Spirit, what's our excuse to incite rebellion? Because that's what 'One who sows discord' does.
I'm extra guilty of number seven. Here's how I justify sowing discord:
1. I'm right and the other people are wrong.
2. They're stupid, short-sighted and/or unfair.
3. Obviously, they need strong correction.
4. They need to hear it right now and from me.
5. So I accuse them of acting badly.
6. They're not listening to what I'm saying.
7. Aren't I justified in getting angry?
Aren't I too old or wise to sow discord? Seems like I should be. How well do you score? Because all of God's Commandments are tests. Thankfully, He's willing to repeat them until we pass by His amazing grace.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: I'm believing in His great purpose and your great potential to unite. Our church and nation are torn apart. We've forgotten patience and mercy.
We accuse, boycott and point fingers. Too many of us are mean teachers. We've anointed ourselves for a job our King was created to handle.*
Your calling is clear and pivotal: To act as ambassadors for Christ in the modern fields of media. Through you, God reaps where He did not sow. And The Parable of the Talents is fulfilled before Jesus returns.**
Like most hopeful parents everywhere, I expect you'll do better than I. You'll exude gentleness and kindness. You'll forsake all things hateful to God.
## Proverbs For Performers: Don't Sow Contention (Part 29)
* 'My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment' (James 3:1).
* 'The anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you' (1 John 2:27).
* 'For One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren' (Matthew 23:8).
* 'The Helper, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you' (John 14:26).
** The Parable of the Talents: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mat+25%3A14-30&version=NKJV
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2016 devotion series, 'Proverbs For Performers.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Every disciple in every field performs for Christ. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Proverbs For Performers series.