You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.
Like most people, I enjoy a good feast. But has our zeal for abundant portions burst beyond our favorite holidays into a lust for everyday blowouts?
Are we worshipping a short, full feeling or the only true Source of completion?
On the other hand, God appointed feasts: sacred observances, celebrations and parties like bar mitzvahs and weddings. The Lord Himself attended with gladness. God's people anticipated their feasts with great excitement, even as we do.
So when did Satan get into the mix? And how can we be warned of his presence? Are bad parties just among outsiders? Are we safer hanging out with our kin?
1) Satan invited Eve to take a bite, and he's offered tempting feasts ever since.
2) Strife, deceit, danger, darkness, drunkenness and decadence herald Satan's presence.
3) God's greatest warnings are for insiders: believers seduced and betrayed by kin.*
4) Christians should not become huddled masses. Our safety is in following Jesus.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: You who are bold, brave and deep in God, be careful of the feasts you frequent... whether with your kin or those beyond. Don't let the enemy seduce you and sell out for a morsel of bread.
## Proverbs For Performers: Feasting With Satan (Part 68)
* 'Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit... These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots; raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever' (Jude 11-13).
* 'They are spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you, having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children' (2 Peter 2:13-14).
* 'Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth' (1 Corinthians 5:7-8).
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2016 devotion series, 'Proverbs For Performers.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Every disciple in every field performs for Christ. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Proverbs For Performers series.