If the beauty business is a gold mine, then one massive shaft is dietary: as in 20 billion U.S. dollars spent on various weight-loss strategies.* God's not the only One Who hates bad scales.
Surely, God's talking about unfairness: giving customers less than they deserve. Back in the days when purchases were weighed, dishonest merchants overcharged people. Or maybe they switched substandard products after advertising something better.
I suspect America's citizens have been led around like gullible sheep, pursuing happiness by the dollar.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Consider three things about dishonest scales:
1) If you want to shed some excess pounds, eat foods from the Creator's pantry. Everything God makes is good for you. Everything man fakes is bad for you. God's stupendous dietary plan is genuine and inexpensive. Don't trust weight loss gurus and gimmicks.**
2) Although today's conniving merchants mark up to mark down and use bar codes, 'There is nothing new under the sun' (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Yes, be savvy, but if you've been had, God repays every deal, good and bad: 'To give to every one according to his work' (Revelation 22:12).
3) Hollywood specializes in hype, when it elevates fake role models: nipped, ripped, tuned, dyed, dressed and photoshopped. Their packaging may be wonderful, but it's manmade and artificial. Fans are chasing unreal images, and some lose their lives in the process.
So get in it to win it for God, but be real for every good reason. God is delighted by honesty. When we're measured, it's the only right weight.
To Be Continued...
* More now, because this stat is from 2012. ABC News Report: 100 million dieters, $20 Billion: The Weight-Loss Industry by the Numbers: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-million-dieters-20-billion-weight-loss-industry/story?id=16297197
* Revenue of the cosmetic industry in the United States from 2002 to 2016 (in billions/U.S. dollars): http://www.statista.com/statistics/243742/revenue-of-the-cosmetic-industry-in-the-us/
** Previous AMTC 31-Part Devotion Series: Eating Right: http://amtcdevotions.org/eating-right-part-1-my-story. NOTE: Chronologically, the series had a few gaps. Here is a link to all the parts: http://amtcdevotions.org/series (Scroll down to 'E')
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Proverbs for Performers series.