My excellent son-in-law, Adam She, was a hard-edged and rebellious teen. This middle son of Chinese immigrants relished in his minority status... because it upped his tough-guy prominence.
Desperate to help their son, his parents enrolled him in four different high schools: a top public school, the best private school, also Christian and military schools. Adam laughed and fought his way through them all. God smiled, too, knowing Adam would be His.
I believe earth is an amazing school, and all of our lives revolve around tests. I believe God is the perfect Father, designing personal curriculums, then recording each failure and success.
He's far too wise to stop us from reaping the bad or good results of our actions. His mercy allows us to try again and pass the tests we've repeatedly failed.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, consider:
1) God's tests come from love for His children. He won't take the time with evil ones: 'The Lord tests the righteous, but the wicked and the one who loves violence His Soul hates' (Psalm 11:5, NKJV).
2) Tests are allowed to purify us and help us become seasoned soldiers. 'For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined' (Psalm 66:10, NKJV).
3) We're counseled to test saints and spirits: to ponder our kin and their motives. 'Test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world' (1 John 4:1, NKJV).**
4) We're prompted to scrutinize ourselves, as our own Cross-examination. 'Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves' (2 Corinthians 13:5, NKJV).
5) We're ordered not to test our Lord God, because no man is equipped to judge. 'Why do you test Me?' (Luke 20:23). 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test' (Luke 4:12, NKJV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: I am confident you'll pass your tests if you stay in school, study God's Word, follow your Teacher and don't drop out. This is one place home school just won't work. The campus you're called to is the world.
## Proverbs For Performers: Passing God's Tests* (Part 75)
* Previous Devotion Series, Practice Makes Perfect, (Part 1 of 20): http://careylewisdevotions.com/practice-makes-perfect-part-1-preparation-for-graduation
* Previous Devotion Series, Acting School, (Part 1 of 33): http://careylewisdevotions.com/acting-school-part-1-gods-royal-academy
** 'For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things' (2 Corinthians 2:9).
** 'Test all things; hold fast what is good' (1 Thessalonians 5:21).
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2016 devotion series, 'Proverbs For Performers.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Every disciple in every field performs for Christ. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Proverbs For Performers series.