Because all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity.
My mind reels, horror overwhelms me; The twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Anti-anxiety medications were dropped into the mouths of my kin like seeds in the beaks of little birdies, hungry and hopeful of becoming full.
But big pharmaceutical companies and busy pill-prescribing physicians bear little resemblance to mama birds.
Even so, we trust them instinctively and mindlessly swallow what they feed us. Because fear can feel a lot like hunger: a helplessness or inadequacy to live a full and satisfying life. Therein, fearful mindsets diminish our joy.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, examine some types of fearfulness, and the Lord's biblical remedies:
1) Fear of enemies, real or assumed, can close us down and make us cower. Relying on God's Spirit and strength help us speak, stand and resist evil.*
2) Fear of rejection makes us pleasers, but playing to the crowd is harmful. Knowing we are accepted by God through Christ gives us lasting confidence.**
3) Fear of insufficiency haunts us. It causes us to grab, hold and hoard. Trusting in our Father's provision is a request He will not refuse.***
4) Fear of incapacity trips us like a self-fulfilling prophesy. Speaking God's faith-filled Words of healing transforms our lives and soon, our bodies.****
Fear is a demon I still have to fight, and I think he has associates--like gloom, worry and anxiety. So keep some soldier's Scriptures handy,* because evil principalities will retreat and hide when they hear Them.
Our Captain will destroy them One Day, but God's Word keeps them at bay right now.
## Self-Examination 2020: Mind, Fearful Minds (Part 58)
* Article: 31 Spiritual Warfare Scriptures: Help for Facing Life's Battles: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/31-spiritual-warfare-scriptures.html
* More Spiritual Warfare Verses: https://www.openbible.info/topics/spiritual_warfare
* Previous Devotion, Spiritual Warfare: http://careylewisdevotions.com/deliverance-part-2-spiritual-warfare
** 'Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ' (Galatians 1:10).
*** 18 Bible Verses about God's Provision: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/God%7es-Provision
**** Previous Devotion: Mouth, Your Nurse: http://careylewisdevotions.com/self-examination-part-36-mouth-your-nurse
NOTE: This is a 2020 edit of a 2017 Shine Devotion series, 'Self-Examination.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination 2020 series.