We played wedding songs, and you didn't dance, so we played funeral songs, and you didn't mourn.
Then they crucified Him... And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, 'You Who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the Cross.
But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
Tears are an ingenious invention: a three-part solution prepared by God to cleanse, protect and maintain healthy eyes. Without enough tears, our eyes become dry, even to the point of dry-eye syndrome.* So we invented artificial tears. Certainly, they don't work like the real thing, because no man can match the work of God.
Although dry eyes have physical causes, maybe we should seek spiritual roots. Maybe we need to turn down apathy, turn away from heart-numbing media and turn on sympathetic compassion. Maybe we need to visit poor people, enter the adversity they endure and wrap our arms around their suffering.**
Because little does more than a good cry.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Your entrance into entertainment is a marvelously modern way to wrap your arms around suffering. Because media circles the earth with an outreach like never before. So invest the talents God gave you that you may gain helpful positions. Once done, consider the poor daily (especially those poor in Spirit).
What are your Model's priorities?
1. 'I was hungry and you gave Me food' (Matthew 25:35). The body of Christ is Food in deed. 'For My Flesh is true Food' (John 6:55).
2. 'I was thirsty and you gave Me drink' (Matthew 25:35). 'He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water' (John 7:38).
3. 'I was a stranger and you took Me in' (Matthew 25:35). 'Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels' (Hebrews 13:2).
4. 'I was naked and you clothed Me' (Matthew 25:36). 'Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins' (1 Peter 4:8).
5. 'I was sick and you visited Me' (Matthew 25:36). 'And He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to perform healing' (Luke 9:2).
6. 'I was in prison and you came to Me' (Matthew 25:36). 'Remember those in prison as if you were together with them... as if you yourselves were suffering' (Hebrews 13:3).
And if you take these six action steps? 'The King will answer and say... 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me' ' (Matthew 25:40).
To Be Continued...
* Article, Understanding Dry Eye Syndrome: http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/dryeye-syndrome.htm
** Short Article: What does the Bible say about empathy?https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-empathy.html
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.