A soothing tongue is a tree of life.
The tongue of the wise brings healing.
He sent His Word and healed them...
Both of my parents seemed like movie stars. My mother was a New York covergirl. My dad was a hot shot fighter pilot. They were attractive and charismatic risk takers in a tumultuous world. But when I was young, they just were parents. Their accomplishments meant less to me then than they do now, when I reconsider. However, their examples meant a lot.
Which brings me to the subject of their health. On that score, my dad batted a thousand while my mom suffered a lot of strike-outs. Each of them got some hard-to-hit pitches: health challenges, both minor and major.
The difference was how they spoke of them. From my dad's mouth--nothing was a big deal, as he limped or sailed around life's bases. From my mom's mouth--everything was awful, as she moaned on the way back to the bench.
To be fair, my mom still made lots of runs, even achieving legendary marks. Among them was founding AMTC. But regarding various aches and pains, her verbal dramatizations of them became harsh, self-fulfilling prophesies.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: The great power of the spoken word is one of the themes of the Bible. Therefore, consider some of the ways what you say can affect how you feel:
1) Jesus is God's Word made into Flesh. As a Man, God's Word was visible, and He healed those who came and believed.
2) Jesus, the Man, can't be seen today, but His spoken Word still carries power to heal as His Father ordains.*
3) What we say about ourselves matters. When we magnify our illnesses, we curse our health by the words we speak.
4) But when we magnify God's greatness and His promises about our health, our bodies will become what He says.**
To Be Continued...
* The mystery of why some people are miraculously healed and others are not is a stumbling block for many who want to believe in Christ, but can't understand the cruel and seemingly random turns of life. Personally, I believe nothing is random, not even disease or serious injury. I believe God is glorified greatly in the witnesses of some Christians who live with health challenges few of us have faced...
Like Nick Vujicic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbX6mDnMwM; https://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/
Like Joni Eareckson Tada: http://www.joniandfriends.org/
These heroes are role models for me. But I also believe we are all completely healed, sooner or later. If our life on earth is just a whiff of smoke (according to God), then an eternity of perfect health awaits every believer. I believe every prayer is answered, just not always when or how we would like.
** Healing Verses: http://drericz.com/bible-verses-for-healing/
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.