Self-Examination (Part 47)
Head: Over Your Head
When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end.
Isaiah 43:2 (The Message)
The waters flowed over my head;
I said, 'I am cut off!'
I called on Your Name, O Lord,
From the lowest pit.
You have heard my voice...
You drew near on the day I called on You,
And said, 'Do not fear!'
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul;
You have redeemed my life.
Lamentations 3:54-58 (NKJV)
When we're in deep water over our head, when dire circumstances surround us, when we've made irreparable mistakes, when our mess seems impossible to clean, when we have no way of saving ourselves, God's reaches down as we are reaching up.
Like for Peter: 'Seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus stretched out His Hand and took hold of him, and said to him, 'You of little faith, why did you doubt?' ' (Matthew 14:30-31).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Salvation is God's recurring theme. Sometimes, He's dramatic about it. Sometimes, our insurmountable odds are the perfect bet He likes to take. Sometimes, a stance on disaster's edge becomes a launching point to success.
Sometimes, an astonishing rescue is the show other people can't miss. Sometimes, our faith needs a world-class stretch to feel God's surpassing compassion.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: When you think you're in over your head, consider two crucial action steps:
1) Bow down to the Lord of miracles. Pray for His help and deliverance. He loves to do unfeasible jobs. Don't look to men for your salvation. Israel made that mistake a lot.*
2) Look up, reach high and expect His Hand. You're in the place He wants you to be. What you need is closer than you think. Don't despair. Don't retreat. Don't give up. Wait on the Lord. He will surely come.**
To Be Continued...
* 'Oh, please help us against our enemies, for all human help is useless' (Psalm 60:11).
* 'Looking for help was useless; In our watching we have watched For a nation that could not save' (Lamentations 4:17).
* 'Do not trust in princes, in mortal man, in whom there is no salvation' (Psalm 146:3).
* 'What sorrow awaits those who look to Egypt for help, trusting their horses, chariots, and charioteers and depending on the strength of human armies instead of looking to the Lord, the Holy One of Israel.' (Isaiah 31:1).
** 'The Lord answered Moses, 'Is the Lord's Arm too short? Now you will see whether or not what I say will come true for you' ' (Numbers 11:23).
** 'Is My Hand so short that it cannot ransom? Or have I no power to deliver?' (Isaiah 50:2).
** 'Is anything too difficult for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son' (Genesis 18:14).
** 'Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible' ' (Matthew 19:26).