Thursday, May 18th, 2017
Self-Examination (Part 58)
Mind: Fearful Minds
Because all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity.
Ecclesiastes 2:23 (NASB)
My mind reels, horror overwhelms me; The twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling.
Isaiah 21:4 (NASB)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB)
Anti-anxiety medications were dropped into the mouths of my kin like seeds in the beaks of little birdies, hungry and hopeful of becoming full. But big pharmaceutical companies and busy pill-prescribing physicians bear little resemblance to mama birds.
Even so, we trust them instinctively and mindlessly swallow what they feed us. Because fear can feel a lot like hunger: a helplessness or inadequacy to live a full and satisfying life. Therein, fearful mindsets diminish our joy.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, examine some types of fearfulness, and the Lord's biblical remedies:
1) Fear of enemies, real or assumed, can close us down and make us cower. Relying on God's Spirit and strength helps us speak, stand and resist evil.*
2) Fear of rejection makes us pleasers, but playing to the crowd is harmful. Knowing we are accepted by God through Christ gives us lasting confidence.**
3) Fear of insufficiency haunts us. It causes us to grab, hold and hoard. Trusting in our Father's provision is a request He will not refuse.***
4) Fear of incapacity trips us like a self-fulfilling prophesy. Speaking God's faith-filled Words of healing transforms our lives and soon, our bodies.****
Fear is a demon I'm still fighting, and I think he has associates like gloom, worry and anxiety. So keep some soldier's Scriptures handy,* because evil principalities will retreat and hide when they hear Them. Our Captain will destroy them One Day, but His Words keep them at bay right now.
To Be Continued...
* Article: 31 Spiritual Warfare Scriptures: Help for Facing Life's Battles: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/31-spiritual-warfare-scriptures.html
* More Spiritual Warfare Verses: https://www.openbible.info/topics/spiritual_warfare
* Previous AMTC Devotion, Spiritual Warfare: http://amtcdevotions.org/deliverance-part-2-spiritual-warfare
** 'Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ' (Galatians 1:10).
*** 18 Bible Verses about God's Provision: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/God%7es-Provision
**** Previous AMTC Devotion: Mouth, Your Nurse: http://amtcdevotions.org/self-examination-part-36-mouth-your-nurse
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.