The leading priests stirred up the crowd to demand the release of Barabbas instead of Jesus. Pilate asked them, 'Then what should I do with this Man you call the King of the Jews?'
They shouted back, 'Crucify Him!.'
'Why?' Pilate demanded. 'What crime has He committed?'
But the mob roared even louder, 'Crucify Him!'
Lynch mobs, evil gangs and Nazi death camps; the men who said of Christ, 'Crucify Him!' What do such hateful groups have in common? They share links in a mob mentality forged by the king of invisible chains: Satan, 'The accuser of our brethren' (Revelation 12:10), who enjoys visible human anguish.
So he stirs people with wretched whispers, where foul thoughts enter unprotected ears: ears without the helmet of salvation; ears without the fire-forged filter of faith; ears disconnected from the Mind of Christ; ears unfamiliar with the Shepherd's Voice; ears accustomed to 'The god of this world' (2 Corinthians 4:4); ears overheated by 'The great dragon' (Revelation 12:9)...
So a fire spreads from their ears to their minds, searing consciences and burning the hearts of normal men into one raging mob. Like corralled beasts whipped into a frenzy, released in a crushing stampede of death.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: None of the words above describe you, but they have described men of fake faith as well as crazed men of other faiths. So what are some lessons to be learned?
1) Hang with people of integrity. While you minister to everyone, your closest friends should be peaceful saints.*
2) Complaint, gossip and anger start fires which can become raging infernos. These flames are not from God, but Satan.**
3) The victims of malevolent mobs will surely pass through Jesus to God. He Himself will avenge injustice.***
4) If you witness sparks starting a fire, extinguish them if you are able, because you carry Living Water.****
To Be Continued...
* Bible Verses about choosing friends: http://biblereasons.com/choosing-friends/
** Previous AMTC Devotion, Complaining Is Contagious: http://amtcdevotions.org/complaining-part-15-is-contagious
*** Bible Verses abou revenge: http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-revenge/
**** 'Jesus stood and cried out, saying, 'If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of Living Water' (John 7:37-38).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.