Wednesday, May 24th, 2017
Self-Examination (Part 64)
Mind: Intelligent Minds
The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge...
Proverbs 15:14 (NASB)
The Lord knows the thoughts of man, that they are a mere breath.
Psalm 94:11 (NASB)
See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
Colossians 2:8 (NASB)
Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed...
Acts 4:13 (NASB)
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10 (NASB)
God gave me just enough intelligence to know how dangerous a brain can be. Because quick minds receive major applause: from gifted children in primary schools, to teens with academic scholarships, to professors and Nobel Laureates with honors, book deals and lofty titles.
Therein, most movers and shakers agree: intellectual mastery matters. Prestigious careers with major paychecks often follow impressive credentials. The same was true in the days of Jesus, as it is in leading nations today.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Hollywood sings a similar song. Key players, on screen and off, are smart. Applause, roles, hits, views and likes matter. But if quick minds are a gift from God,* giving the Lord credit matters more. And if God is our main Audience, His approval matters most of all.
So consider some thoughts about brains:
1) Intelligent minds are lovely gifts, but gifts become twisted without God.
2) Intelligent minds know many things, but knowledge is useless without God.
3) Intelligent minds may get puffed up, but proud risers will fall without God.
4) Intelligent minds receive applause, but applause is just noise without God.
5) Intelligent Christians seek God first. All other knowledge is secondary.
6) God does not measure intelligence by academia's grading scale.
7) God increases the intelligence, wisdom and knowledge of sincere saints.
To Be Continued...
* 'Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning' (James 1:17).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.