Thursday, May 25th, 2017
Self-Examination (Part 65)
Mind: What To Remember
You shall remember the Lord your God...
Deuteronomy 8:18 (NKJV)
Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses.
Nehemiah 4:14 (NKJV)
Remember His marvelous works which He has done, His wonders, and the judgments of His Mouth...
1 Chronicles 16:12 (NKJV)
Remember to magnify His work...
Job 36:24 (NKJV)
Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the Name of the Lord our God.
Psalm 20:7 (NKJV)
When fear and depression hover like clouds, when faith, hope and love seem to be hiding, when our minds seem to be stuck in darkness, when adversaries seem to be giants, when problems seem to be unsolvable...
When mountains seem to be unscalable, when disaster seems to be imminent, when fortitude seems to be wavering, when Christ seems to be a distant Hero, when life as we know it seems to be dead...
Our hearts need to be resuscitated by healthy jolts of godly memories. We must deliberately apply them to our minds through righteous recollections.
'O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You' (Psalm 42:6). 'I meditate on You in the night watches' (Psalm 63:6). 'When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the Lord; And my prayer went up to You, into Your holy temple' (Jonah 2:7).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Remember how God saved His people. Remember how Jesus saved you, too. Remember your previous troubles and His marvelous deliveries. Also, remember some other things:
1) 'Remember Lot's wife' (Luke 17:32), and don't look back on bad places as if they were good.
2) 'Remember the poor' (Galatians 2:10.) Be generous. God is, and your wealth belongs to Him.
3) 'Remember those in prison as if you were together with them... and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering' (Hebrews 13:3).
4) 'Remember that it is not you who supports the Root, but the Root supports you' (Romans 11:18). Don't be an arrogant branch of Christ.
5) Remember how the best men forget. 'Do you not yet understand, or remember the five loaves of the five thousand...?' (Matthew 16:9).
So stay in God's Book to remember what the devil wants you to forget:
'This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul,
'Therefore I hope in Him!' (Lamentations 3:21).
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.