Friday, May 26th, 2017
Self-Examination (Part 66)
Mind: What To Forget
Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.
Isaiah 43:18 (NASB)
I, even I, am He Who blots out your transgressions for My Own sake; And I will not remember your sins.
Isaiah 43:25 (NKJV)
For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.
Isaiah 65:17 (NASB)
Jesus said to him, 'No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.'
Luke 9:62 (NKJV)
Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away. Behold, all things are become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)
Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13-14 (NKJV)
Mistakes, failures, grudges, insults, dumb moves, rotten deals and missed opportunities; suffering, rejection, abandonment, tragic accidents and unforgiveness; big sins, past shames, sick games, old flames, mean gangs, absent dads, false witness and fickle friends.
Everything you should've done, but didn't; everything you shouldn't do, but did; all of the injustices you suffered; all of the naysayers who held you back; all of the betrayers you once trusted; all the wrong things done by you or to you... you must forgive and forget--like God does.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Regarding regrets or resentments, walk away from such destructive shows. Refuse to rehearse yesterday's lines. Consider some critical reasons:
1) You can't promote your Lord's agenda while you remember old grievances.
2) God's armor was made to protect you, except if you're running in retreat.
3) Backward eyes reveal a double-mind as well as a shallow commitment.
4) Putting the past squarely behind you advances your success here and now.
5) You forgive because Christ forgave you. To do less invites the torturers.
6) Overlooking stupid offenses invites a commendation from God.
7) Forgiving cruel injustices makes you a great witness for Jesus.
To Be Continued...
* 1) 'Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged' (1 Corinthians 13:4-5, NLT).
* 2) The Whole Armor of God: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%206:10-18
* 3) 'But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt' (Genesis 19:26, NIV).
* 4) 'I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation' (2 Corinthians 6:2, NIV). 'As Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life' (Romans 6:4, NASB).
* 5) The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+18:21-35&version=NKJV
* 6) 'A person's wisdom yields patience; it is to one's glory to overlook an offense' (Proverbs 19:11, NIV).
* 7) 'Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing' ' (Luke 23:34, NIV).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.