Monday, June 12th, 2017
Self-Examination (Part 83)
Shoulders: Unequal Yokes
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14 (NKJV)*
And have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Ephesians 5:11 (NKJV)
I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner...
1 Corinthians 5:9-11 (NKJV)
If two oxen are yoked to plow a field, and one is strong but the other is weak, or one is tall but the other is short, or one obeys but the other is wild... their path may turn and their production fail.
'Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?' (Amos 3:3, NLT).**
Views vary concerning unequal yokes. Sadly, some Christians withdraw from the world. The isolate themselves and observe life from high walls of superiority. But this negates Paul's brilliant evangelism as well as the Words of Jesus Himself:
'For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all... I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some (1 Corinthians 9:19-22, NKJV).***
'My prayer is not that You take them out of the world but that You protect them from the evil one' (John 17:15, NKJV). 'Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature' (Mark 16:15, NKJV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Ponder some thoughts on unequal yokes:
1) Your business is surely with the world. Eternity with kin comes later.****
2) By 'yoked,' Paul refers to communion: keeping purity within the church.****
3) In His revelatory Letters, Jesus called for the same purity.****
4) Your closest friends should be on Christ's Page. His Word says: bad company corrupts.****
To Be Continued...
* Short article: What does it mean to be unequally yoked? https://www.gotquestions.org/unequally-yoked.html
** 'A pair of friends: They do not need to be agreed about everything. They must, however, wish to keep each others company, and they must be going by the same road to the same place.' (MacLaren's Expositions on Amos 3:3.) http://biblehub.com/commentaries/amos/3-3.htm
*** 1 Corinthians 9:19-23: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%209:19-23
1)**** Interesting article: Can Christians 'Do Business' with the World? http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/can-christians-do-business-world/
2)**** We are instructed in 1 Corinthians 5:9-11 (and many other Verses throughout the Bible) to correct straying brethren, albeit kindly and humbly. Because many churches are run like businesses, where the push is for numbers and financial success, no personal correction takes place.
3) **** The Seven Letters to the Churches in Revelation. All were loving. Five were corrective, noting impurities/sins within the church: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+2-3&version=NKJV
4) **** 'Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character' ' (1 Corinthians 15:33).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Self-Examination series.