But whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
If God counts among His 'Servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob' (Deuteronomy 9:27), if 'His servant David' (1 Kings 8:66) was 'A man after His Own Heart' (1 Samuel 13:14), if 'They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God' (Revelation 15:3) in Heaven, if Mary was 'The maidservant of the Lord' (Luke 1:38), if God 'Glorified His Servant Jesus' (Acts 3:13)...
Then being a servant of God is the highest possible status.
But here's the thing: equal to serving our Lord is serving His people. 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me' (Matthew 25:40).
Given this name, what are the star qualities of a servant?
1) Compassion: 'Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his Master made ruler over His household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his Master, when He comes, will find so doing' (Matthew 24:45-46). The most important 'food' we feed God's people is His Word. It is love in action.
2) Humility: 'And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, 'If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all' ' (Mark 9:35). The Apostle Paul put it this way: 'For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more' (1 Corinthians 9:19).
3) Attention to detail: 'Blessed are those servants whom the Master, when He comes, will find watching' (Luke 12:37). 'His Lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord' ' (Matthew 25:21).
4) Whole-heartedness: 'No servant can serve two masters' (Luke 16:13), 'Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths and honor Me with their lips, but have removed their hearts far from Me' (Isaiah 29:13). True servants 'Keep His testimonies' and 'seek Him with the whole heart' (Psalm 119:2).
5) Joy: 'Behold, My servants shall sing for joy of heart' (Isaiah 65:14). 'Let them shout for joy and be glad, Who favor my righteous cause; And let them say continually, 'Let the Lord be magnified, Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant' ' (Psalm 35:27). Joy is a brilliant billboard for God.
Therein is stage name #7: Servant.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Stage Names series.