Sunday, July 8th, 2012
Strangers In Hollywood (Part 12, Conclusion)
Lessons from Daniel: Handwriting on the Wall
They drank wine, and praised the gods of gold and silver, bronze and iron, wood and stone. In the same hour the fingers of a man's hand appeared and wrote opposite the lampstand on the plaster of the wall of the king's palace; and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.
Daniel 5:4-5 (NKJV)
Then He said to Abram: 'Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs...'
Genesis 15:13 (NKJV)
The handwriting on the wall comes from the Book of Daniel. During a particularly decadent party given by King Nebuchadnezzar's evil son, a disembodied hand begins writing on the wall. Daniel is called to translate the words.
He says, 'God has numbered your kingdom and finished it... You have been weighed in the balances and found wanting... Your kingdom has been divided and given' (Daniel 5:26-28) to others.
Justice is coming in a day of doom. The finality of this indictment will bring our idol-worshipping, child-harming, pleasure-driven world to its knees.
Consider the entertainment industry as the communication platform from which God will preach His closing arguments. Through sights and sounds, His performers will give earth's citizens a fair hearing and a good choice. The fair hearing is their witness; the good choice is Jesus.
As strangers in Babylon 2600 years ago, Daniel and his friends teach God's 21st-century stars valuable lessons. Because actors, models, and talent for Christ are strangers in Hollywood. So remember:
1) God's best and brightest performers are called for this mission. Therein, you are chosen.
2) Practice the God habits of prayer, scripture, and fellowship daily. Therein, you are protected.
3) Excel in your work--both onstage and off. Therein, you are prepared.
4) Color your performance with integrity, and God will cover you with favor. Therein, you are anointed.
5) Focus on your vision, but look humble in the eyes of God and man. Therein, you are promoted.
6) Respect the kings of Hollywood. God ordained them for a purpose. Therein, you are shrewd.
7) Never cross the line to sell-out God and buy into idols. Therein, you are loyal.
8) Expect fiery trials to test you. Walk through them to pass the test. Therein, you are blessed.
9) God will deliver you from evil and empower you to deliver others. Therein, you are free.
10) Arrogance will end, so be ready to catch those falling. Therein, you are compassionate.
11) The world as we know it will change. Help it change for the better. Therein, you are transformed.
12) While you may be strangers in Hollywood, you are surely citizens in Heaven. Therein, you are stars.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Strangers In Hollywood series.