Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.
Repeatedly,* God spoke encouraging Words to Joshua before he led the Israelites in a series of wars to claim the Promised Land. Why repeatedly? I believe Joshua was scared.
Being scared is part of the human condition. What we do about it makes all the difference:
'Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway' (John Wayne).
'Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of a readiness to die' (G.K. Chesterton).
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts' (Winston Churchill).
'Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself' (Charlie Chaplin).
'Never let the fear of striking out get in your way' (Babe Ruth).
'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life' (Muhammad Ali).
'Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy' (Dale Carnegie).
'Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them' (Bruce Lee).
'How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them' (Benjamin Franklin).
'There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right' (Ronald Reagan).
'Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point' (C.S. Lewis).
'Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened' (Billy Graham).
'One man with courage is a majority' (Thomas Jefferson). Or as God says at the end of Isaiah 60: 'A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation. I, the Lord, will hasten it in its time' (v.22).*
God promotes people of courage. Therein, courage is a success strategy.
To Be Continued...
* 'Then Moses called Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel, 'Be strong and of good courage, for you must go with this people to the land which the Lord has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall cause them to inherit it' ' (Deuteronomy 31:7, NKJV).
* 'Then He inaugurated Joshua the son of Nun, and said, 'Be strong and of good courage; for you shall bring the children of Israel into the land of which I swore to them, and I will be with you' ' (Deuteronomy 31:23, NKJV).
* 'Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them' (Joshua 1:6, NKJV).
* 'Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go' (Joshua 1:7, NKJV).
* 'Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go' (Joshua 1:9, NKJV).
* 'Only be strong and of good courage' (Joshua 1:18 NKJV).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Success Strategies series.