Monday, November 7th, 2016
Suffering (Part 42)
Physical Pain: The Woman With A Spirit Of Infirmity
Now He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. And behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up. But when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him and said to her, 'Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity.' And He laid His Hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
Luke 13:10-13 (NKJV)*
Crippling arthritis, herniated discs or any misalignment of the back carries a prodigious amount of pain. Even with modern diagnostic tools, back injuries remain mysterious. Treatment can be like a roll of the dice. Will it help or worsen the suffering?
Most adults have experienced backache: often temporary, but sometimes not. For them, a gnawing pain bites into joy and tries to steal their productivity. Agonized victims face crucial choices:
1. Focusing on their hard circumstances and surrendering their dreams to despair.
2. Pinning their hopes on medical treatments, which is a logical course of action.
3. Continuing to move as best they can and pushing like soldiers through obstacles.
4. Trusting God for an eventual cure: still praising and thanking Him through the pain.
Jesus met a lady in the temple who embraced the latter plans of action. Please note two facts of her deliverance:
1. She evidenced patient continuance, which God promises will reap great results.
2. Her condition had spiritual ties, as in Satan bound her for eighteen years.*
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Surely, you hope every affliction could be lifted like this woman's was. Although her healing came instantly, she'd been waiting almost two decades. So what's good about physical pain?
Many Bible Chapters discuss it, like the wisdom in 1 Peter 4 or the majesty in Romans 8.** But while you're praising and pushing through, do not overlook deliverance as one strong Arm of the Lord's healing.
To Be Continued...
* Entire Bible passage: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+13%3A10-17&version=NKJV
** 1 Peter 4: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter+4&version=NKJV
** Romans 8: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans+8&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Suffering series.