Monday, September 23rd, 2019
The Enemy's Game: God's All Stars--Zechariah & Elizabeth
And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest;
For you will go before the Face of the Lord to prepare His ways,
To give knowledge of salvation to His people,
By the remission of their sins,
Through the tender mercy of our God,
With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us;
To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.
Luke 1:76-79 (NKJV)
Applaud Zechariah & Elizabeth!* This aging couple had borne no children, which carried an unfortunate stigma... as if their sins prevented God's blessing. But their too-late status was a set-up for a series of miracles to follow.
Consider this senior daring duo:
1) Zechariah was a regional priest and his wife was unable to conceive. Certainly, they prayed for many decades, but learned to accept their childless status.
2) When he met an angel in the temple announcing a soon-to-come conception, Zechariah couldn't believe the news, so the angel, Gabriel, struck him mute.
3) Those people who prayed and waited for him wondered at their priest's time in the temple. When he came out beckoning and dumbstruck, they realized he had seen a vision.
4) Nine months later, John the Baptist was born. Both of his parents became Spirit-filled, and Zechariah's voice was recovered to confirm his new son's name would be John.
5) Their friends and neighbors marveled through it all, and they believed this child would be special. Word spread throughout the hills of Judea, preparing the way for John and his Lord.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, what can you learn from this old couple?
Maybe seniors aren't meant to retire or settle down in recliner seats. Maybe Zechariah was silenced to prevent the harm of doubting words.
Maybe closing mouths helps open ears.
Maybe quiet time helps build our faith.
Maybe patience precedes bearing fruit.
Maybe a gracious army of love needs experienced saints to guide it.
## The Enemy's Game: God's All Stars--Zechariah & Elizabeth (Part 88)
* Zechariah and Elizabeth, Luke 1: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+1&version=NKJV
* Short article: Who was Elizabeth in the Bible? http://www.gotquestions.org/Elizabeth-in-the-Bible.html
NOTE: This series is a republished edit of a 2015 devotion series called, 'The Enemy's Game.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you're not a performer, don't be deterred. In truth, every disciple acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.