Sunday, November 22nd, 2015
The Enemy's Game (Part 21)
And He told them a parable, saying, 'The land of a rich man was very productive. And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?' Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.' ' But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?' So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.'
Luke 12:16-21 (NASB)
A fragile line exists between godly prosperity and ungodly hoarding. Godly prosperity is known by strong faith, softened hearts and generous sharing. Ungodly hoarding is known by hardened minds, tightened fists and massive collections.
Let's consider our accumulations:
1) The size of our closets: How many outfits do we really wear? If we haven't put them on in a year, can we cover the bareness of others?
2) The scope of our houses: How many bedrooms do we really need? If we rarely use all of our grand space, is decisive downsizing in order?
3) The width of our waistlines: Are we cherishing food excessively? If we're tempted to eat compulsively, should we exercise greater self-control?
4) The means of our travel: Do we parade in fancy chariots? If the splendor of our cars means too much, should we cut the fluff and travel smarter?
4) The Owner of our wealth: Do we realize God owns our assets? If we begin to think they're really ours, let's re-read God's Own Words on this subject.*
Actors, models and talent for Christ: If media is your mission field, flying high and light is your best game. Love of stuff will only hold you back.** The enemy knows your temptations, so resist him, them, and keep moving.
To Be Continued...
* Scriptures about wealth: http://www.openbible.info/topics/wealth
** The Race of Faith (Hebrews 12:1-2): https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+12%3A1-2&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.