Thursday, January 14th, 2016
The Enemy's Game (Part 74)
Star Players: Abraham*
For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, (as it is written, 'A father of many nations have I made you') in the presence of Him Whom he believed, even God, Who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.
Romans 4:16-17 (NASB)
Actors, models and talent for Christ, take note:
If Abraham is the father of our faith, if faith is the must-have winning strategy, if he followed an unknown God to the field, if his moves made way for God's future players, if this field was filled with opposing forces, if Abraham's people outlasted them all, then we must study the ways of our father.
Consider some of Abraham's finest moves:
1. He wasn't satisfied with phony faith among a people who worshipped idols. When the unseen God spoke into his heart, Abraham got off the bench and followed.
2. Our starter ignored his advancing years, trusting God to provide him with vigor. He deferred to his nephew's ambition, but never gave up trying to help him.
3. He was savvy in alien cultures, and he was fierce among warrior kings. Upon defeating these rich enemies, Abraham tithed to God's most holy priest.
4. Although his promised team seemed late to come, Abraham still believed in His Captain. The day God asked his hardest sacrifice, our founding father did not hesitate.
5. Instead, he trusted God would make it right, and God blessed him extraordinarily. He became the father of Israel and the father of all Christians today.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: What moves can you learn from Abraham? Maybe that idols are among us. Maybe to leave phony faith behind. Maybe that age is irrelevant, and that retirement is ungodly. Maybe that family can falter, but to continue to fight for them. Maybe to be shrewd among great kings. Maybe that tithing honors the Lord. Maybe to trust Him with your loved ones.
To Be Continued...
* Bible Chapters on Abraham's life: Genesis 12-24: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+12-24&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.