Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, the chief of his officials, to bring in some of the sons of Israel, including some of the royal family and of the nobles, youths in whom was no defect, who were good-looking, showing intelligence in every branch of wisdom, endowed with understanding and discerning knowledge, and who had ability for serving in the king's court; and he ordered him to teach them the literature and language of the Chaldeans.
Daniel lived in a desperate time: a time when Babylon was supreme; a time when Israel forgot God, so God removed his shield of safety; a time when Israel suffered greatly and Jerusalem was defeated. Its best young boys were taken captive to serve the kings of foreign nations--including Daniel and his friends: children of faith and integrity.
Consider how good children grow great:
1) As a boy, Daniel saw Israel fall, and he was thrust into a pagan land. Hatred and revenge could have consumed him, but his heart stayed pure and focused on God.
2) He mastered a new language and customs. He respected idolatrous rulers and served them to his utmost ability. Yet he maintained key practices of faith...
3) Like asking to abstain from certain foods. In his polite request, he showed wisdom. So he grew in favor with God and kings. Daniel played his new field extremely well.
4) In addition, he prayed without ceasing. His time with the Lord stayed first in his life. Nor would he or his friends worship idols. Yes, they were tested, but God delivered.
5) Consequently, their witness changed nations. Outsiders became worshippers of God. Daniel and company are examples to actors, models and talent for Christ.
Brave performers for our bravest King, what can you learn from Daniel and friends? Maybe Hollywood's like Babylon, filled with strangers and modern idols. Maybe you're sent from our King to theirs. Maybe to respect its reigning kings is both proper and necessary. Maybe performing ten times better than other stars is required of you. Surely you can learn this culture well, but maintain your godly practices. Surely the witness of four young men can show you a way to witness now.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: What should we learn from the life of Daniel? http://www.gotquestions.org/life-Daniel.html
** Previous AMTC devotion series: http://amtcdevotions.org/strangers-in-hollywood-part-1-lessons-from-daniel-the-best-and-brightest (12 parts)
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.