Applaud Zachariah & Elizabeth! They were righteous and blameless before God. This older priest and his wife were childless. Back then, being barren was a stigma, as if their sins prevented God's blessing. But their too-late status was a set-up for the series of miracles to come.
Consider this power-hitting couple:
1) Zachariah was a regional priest and his dear wife was too old to conceive. Certainly, they prayed for many decades, but learned to accept their childless status.
2) When he met an angel in the temple announcing their soon-to-come conception, Zachariah couldn't believe the news, so the angel, Gabriel, struck him mute.
3) Those people who prayed and waited for him wondered at their priest's time in the temple. When he came out beckoning and dumbstruck, they realized he had seen a vision.
4) Nine months later, John the Baptist was born. Both of his parents became Spirit-filled, and Zachariah's voice was recovered to confirm his new son's name would be John.
5) Their friends and neighbors marveled through it all, and they believed this child would be special. Word spread throughout the hills of Judea, preparing the way for John and his Lord.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, what can you learn from this old couple? Maybe seniors aren't meant to retire or settle down in recliner seats. Maybe Zachariah was silenced to prevent words of doubt erupting. Maybe closing mouths helps open ears. Maybe quiet time helps build our faith. Maybe patience precedes bearing fruit. Maybe God's army in media needs experienced saints to guide it.
To Be Continued...
* Zechariah and Elizabeth, Luke 1: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+1&version=NKJV
* Short article: Who was Elizabeth in the Bible? http://www.gotquestions.org/Elizabeth-in-the-Bible.html
* Short article: Zacharias & Elizabeth - Prayer in Secret; http://www.hannahscupboard.com/zacharias-prayer.html
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.