Friday, January 29th, 2016
The Enemy's Game (Part 89)
Star Players: Mary*
And Mary said:
'My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
For He Who is mighty has done great things for me,
And holy is His Name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him,
From generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His Arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich He has sent away empty...'
Luke 1:46-53 (NKJV)
Mary, the mother of Jesus, stood up. As a young teen, she chose a hero's life: accepting an angel's invitation, walking the way of nonconformity, sacrificing her sweet reputation, risking the rejection of her betrothed, facing a possible death by stoning, giving her future entirely to God... because He called her, and she answered, Yes!
Consider her gentle, but daring moves.
1) Mary came from Nazareth, a village, a bump-on-the-map within Israel, and surely no one's impressive mecca, along with people considered 'country.'
2) When God's angel presented His big news, Mary was humble, but curious to discover how such a thing could happen. Gabriel patiently explained the steps.
3) Whether she thought through the consequences, as can happen in life-changing moments, or stepped forward in joyful abandon, Mary agreed with God's amazing plan.
4) Then she went on an adventurous trip to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who received her own growing miracle. Surely, they shared the deepest communion.
5) Mary's life was a walk of faith and works. In obedience and contemplation, she followed her Lord and husband's leading. Therein, she modeled both faith and courage.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: what can a simple girl share with you? Maybe simplicity is godly, because too many things can bind you. Maybe people raised in country air show God a fresh, open excitement. Maybe certain girls will hear God's call, and certain parents will respect it. Maybe to abandon peer pressure. Maybe faith is shown in submission, and fearlessness is responding, Yes!
To Be Continued...
* Short article: Do You Trust Me? The Story of Joseph and Mary: https://bible.org/seriespage/11-do-you-trust-me-story-joseph-and-mary
* Short article: Joseph, Husband of Mary: http://www.biblestudytools.com/encyclopedias/isbe/joseph-husband-of-mary.html
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.