For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
Could the world's finest evangelist be a power-punching-pugilist named Paul? 1 Corinthians 9:26 says Paul was a boxer with a sure-fire aim.** He was passionately, persuasively, dynamically, strategically determined to advance His Lord's Gospel. Before becoming a Christ-follower, he was equally resolved to hunt them. But God turned his conviction to The Light, tempering Paul's persistent pluck with love.
Consider this boxer's fighting style:
1) This young man possessed a powerful mind and came from a successful family. In school, he studied with Gamaliel, Jerusalem's most exalted teacher.
2) Paul became a Pharisee and lawyer. He saw the rise of Jesus and His Way. Believing they were absolutely wrong, Paul was The Way's most ardent opponent.
3) He hunted, harmed, imprisoned and murdered until Jesus spoke to him One-on-one. Paul was blinded, humbled and heart-broken, but Jesus restored Paul's life and purpose.
4) With his trademark daring and dauntlessness, Paul spent the rest of his days serving Christ. His heart was overflowingly renewed, and he honed in on the real foe: Satan.
5) Concerning the devil's devious moves, Paul informed emerging generations of believers which team to fight and how. Even more, he conquered the world with love.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: What can Paul, the passionate, teach you? Maybe fighters are needed today. Maybe to read Paul's boxing lessons.*** Maybe passionately wrong people can become fervently right people. Maybe religious zealots are dangerous, but maybe not to think they're hopeless, because God may have a plan for them.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: What should we learn from the life of Paul? Who was Paul?http://www.gotquestions.org/life-Paul.html
** 'Therefore, I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air;' https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+9%3A24-27&version=NASB
*** The Whole Armor of God: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=eph+6%3A10-18&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.