Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, 'I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the Light of life.'
If I had to sum up the Great Commission in one word, it would be love. But light
is a worthy contender.* God says to walk in the light, work in the light, follow the light, carry the light and be the light.
Like a candle on a stand, a lamp without a shade, or a city on a hill. Because every good and perfect gift, every strong and fruitful tree, every child and loving man, comes down from the 'Father of Lights' (James 1:17).
The world scoffs in disrespect. In blinding protest, it flashes headlights, spotlights, floodlights and neon signs. The dark angel smiles. His plan? To daze us with artificial light: more bulbs than we can count in more ways than we can see.
Then he flips us like switches and spins us in circles. We become channels for his entertainment: people pinned to his screens with beams in our eyes. But these beams come from lasers in the shape of stars; they enchant us and bind us to their
dreams, not ours.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: consider three things about the light of Christ:
1) It's natural and irrepressible. It subdues the enemy, because 'Light excels darkness' (Ecclesiastes 2:13).
2) It's gentle on the eyes. It does not overwhelm its audience, because 'Love is patient' (1 Corinthians 13:4).
3) We don't own it. It's a reflection from 'The One Who has shone in our hearts' (2 Corinthians 4:6).
The nearer we get to Him, the more we shine for Him. Therefore, follow your Leader closely, especially in the land of false light. Never let Him out of your sight. Only then can the trail you blaze for others be sure and straight.
To Be Continued...
* Short article, The Light of the World: http://www.gotquestions.org/light-of-the-world.html
* Bible Verses about light: http://www.openbible.info/topics/light
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Trailblazers series.