Friday, May 22nd, 2015
Trailblazers (Part 4)
Lead Lost Children
Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3 (NASB)
He said to His disciples, 'It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble.'
Luke 17:1-2 (NASB)
Clearly, Jesus blazed a trail to find the lost: 'For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost' (Luke 19:10).
Clearly, Jesus loved children: 'Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these' (Matthew 19:14).
After Peter's denial of Christ, after His death by crucifixion, after His witnessed resurrection, Jesus asked Peter to prove his love: ' 'Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?' He said to Him, 'Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.' He said to him, 'Tend My lambs' ' (John 21:15).
Currently, I believe we face an epidemic of lost lambs: faith babies who fall in three categories:
1) Milk-fed toddlers who play in the pews for lack of discipleship. Tending our lambs for growth into sheep takes more than two hours per week.
2) Fed-up teenagers who leave the church for lack of understanding. They want tough questions answered. Easy sermons do not satisfy them.
3) Media-fed adolescents who have never known the truth of Christ. They follow their favorite celebrities, seeking joy and purpose.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: consider three more things:
1) God's movement in media is youth-led. Every war puts young, strong warriors on the front line. Most go forth thinking they're invincible. You go forth knowing you're invincible. Because with Jesus, you are.
2) Kids are prime targets for Satan, as they were for Adolph Hitler. Pre-war Nazi Germany lured millions of children to walk down evil paths. Isn't media doing the same thing today? Children seek stars to guide them.*
3) If you become a constant star in a wandering world, children will follow you. When they follow you, they follow Jesus. Isn't that the point of this movement? To show those who are lost the Way to get home?
To Be Continued...
* 'Youth is susceptible to evil doctrine. Whether we teach young Christians truth or not, the devil will be sure to teach them error. They will hear of it somehow, even if they are watched by the most careful guardians. The only way to keep chaff out of the child's little measure is to fill it brimful with good wheat. Oh, that the Spirit of God may help us to do this! The more the young are taught the better; it will keep them from being misled' (Charles Spurgeon).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Trailblazers series.