King David is one of the Bible's most patient men. His life has been studied extensively by Jews and Christians, because he is a hero to them both. Like a handful of today's stars, David became famous as a child. But as time passed, his celebrity never diminished. It only increased.
Therefore, we know more about David than most of God's headliners. Consider some of the waiting periods between his glory moments:
1) Before the age of 15, David was anointed king of Israel by the prophet Samuel. However, he didn't get a throne until he was 30--and he didn't get Israel's throne until he was 37.
2) When the reigning king (Saul) went mad and forced David into years of hiding, David refused two fast-track opportunities to succeed him. Instead, he opted to wait on God's timing.
3) David longed to build God's Temple, and God gave him a wonderful set of plans. Even so, He refused to issue the building permit. David didn't argue, but patiently gathered supplies for his son, Solomon.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: please pardon my blunt words, but showing impatience for your success is a double dose of stupid. Or maybe it's a triple-threat trap. Here's why:
1) The world's aspiring stars understand success takes time, training and perseverance. Their stories reveal years of humbling effort. Should you be less humble or less patient than non-believers?
2) You know Jesus and His Word. God has called you to rise. Do you think your timetable is better than His? Do you think you deserve a faster track than David, Moses, Abraham, Isaac or Paul?
3) By your shortsighted witness, you lose favor with the King of kings, the kings of entertainment and the fans you are supposed to impress.
Instead, be among those who 'Wait for the Lord,' those who 'Will gain new strength,' those who 'Will mount up with wings like eagles' (Isaiah 40:31). As Israel needed David then, the world needs you now.
But only by patient continuance will God lift you to stardom.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Valiant! Like David series.